Friday, March 22, 2013

The Weekend Arrives

Capital Plaza Hotel

 The weekend begins at the beautiful Capital Plaza Hotel.  Both contestants arrive even before expected.  I guess that's what driving from the other side of the state will do for you.  You learn to give yourself plenty of time in case of trouble and when no trouble comes that means you arrive early.  I for one would rather arrive early any day.  So thankful there was no trouble for either of us.  :)






The weekend begins with amazing gift bags as always.  Mine is now and forever my Ms. Wheelchair bag with everything in it I will need to represent Ms. Wheelchair Kansas (I hope).  And, it is a bright green so I shouldn't lose it.  (I hope)  :)  We had amazing tie blankets in our bags which kept me so warm as I cuddled up with it that night.  I had to be sure and thank the maker.  It has become my couch blanket and what I cuddle up with for a nap in the afternoons.  What a great idea!!!
My Ms Wheelchair Bag
Other side of the blanket
My new cuddle blanket











Our first event for the weekend was an orientation and project that jump started our brains for the entire weekend.  We spent time decorating a paper crown to represent how we foresee wearing the crown this year.   This really got me thinking about why I have become dedicated to the Ms. Wheelchair Program and what I really would do with the crown and what I would do anyway, if I didn't come home with it.
 
We ended the evening giving back.  We fixed dinner for the Ronald McDonald House and ate supper with the families.  What an amazing way to give back.  I am so thankful that my family got to use the Ronald McDonald House during my hospital stay because the accident led to the early birth of our son and he got to spend time in the NICU.  What an amazing gift to families with enough worries with a child in the NICU.  How special to be able to share a success story from personal experience and help shine a light at the end of a very dark tunnel.  Seeing my 8 year old now, no one would guess the trauma at the beginning of his life.  I'm glad I could be part of sharing hope and stories from the other side after having been through very similar circumstances.  There is hope even when you can't see it and there is a reason to give thanks even when it's hard to find.  When your child is in NICU and you are at Ronald McDonald House, you can give thanks for: the NICU, doctors and nurses with the knowledge your child needs and the love and care they give, people who are patient with you as you learn through this trauma, the Ronald McDonald house, volunteers, a safe place to sleep, great meals to eat, an amazing family room to help you unwind.  laundry facilities.  I'm sure you can think of many more.  Even when things seem at their worst, there is always something to be thankful for.
 
Too many cooks in the kitchen?  I don't know, but have you
ever seen so many wheelchairs in one kitchen?

Our photographer for the weekend.  :)
 
 

 Thank goodness there was a good night's sleep to the end of this exhausting day.  (I'm sure my new blanket helped.)  :) 

To Be Continued . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment