Thursday, July 25, 2013

Learning at the Library Part 4






Another opportunity to share my platform with another great group of preschoolers.  This time I got to do story time at the Hays Public Library 4 days in a row.  It was such a great experience and I love to read stories and dance with preschoolers.  Each morning started with songs--some with shaker eggs and/or actions.  I love it when the kiddos really follow the story time librarian leader and learn new songs.  They even had me doing the actions along with them.


Doing the Hokey Pokey


Wheels on the Bus



AJ Hiding under the table







I was told the kids would be different each day so I could read the same stories every day.  So, that's what I planned to do.  I would read Mama Zooms and Susan Laughs and then we would take a break to wiggle, dance, and sing a bit.  Then I would finish with The Secret of Saying Thanks and end with a time to ask any questions (they never really had any) and a time to pet AJ if he was willing.  He was willing each day except Tuesday--you can see him hiding under the table.  :)






















There were no questions until I had the same kiddos more than once.  The second time around, they came prepared with tons of questions.  We could have spent the entire story time talking and never getting around to reading stories.  :)  But, read we did.  And, by Thursday, I even read Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site instead of The Secret of Saying Thanks since most of them had heard it before.  

I think the moral of the story is when you are reading to preschoolers, be full of energy and ready to wiggle and dance.  And, come back more than once for them to be ready to ask questions.

Thanksgiving for the day:
Pink
Pizza Challenge
Figuring out YouTube
Rain

"Piglet noticed that even though he had a Very Small Heart, it could hold a rather large amount of Gratitude."
A.A. Milne, 
Winnie-the-Pooh

No comments:

Post a Comment