Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Christmas at the Place Where Help Is Only a Phone Call Away


Christmas--what a perfect time to focus on thankfulness.  At least, that's what I thought.  Then, I began looking for Christmas themed stories about thankfulness.  Those are difficult to find if you are only focused on the word gratitude.  Stories about thankfulness and gratitude were in abundance in November--the month focused on Thanksgiving.  Not so much in December.  Stories in December are focused on love, joy, peace, and giving.  But, aren't these the things we should be thankful for and aren't they the natural expression of living a life of gratitude?  I think so.  And I've always thought my platform, "Maintaining an Attitude of Gratitude" is not just limited to a certain season, but something we need to be focused on all year.

I was invited to speak at the SKIL Christmas party in Hays and I was so excited.  SKIL has been a part of my life since the beginning of my time with Independent Living Centers.  It is through my involvement with SKIL that I have learned what services are available to help me live life as independently as I possibly can.  It is SKIL that comes to mind first any time I have a question about disability services.  I know the answer is only a phone call or email away.  :)  I was thrilled to get to spend time having lunch and visiting with staff and clients and then share my platform and get to answer questions.  I learned something this month, that I don't know why I didn't realize it before.  As I was sharing about Ms. Wheelchair Kansas, I realized we have a date in common.  Ms. Wheelchair Kansas began in 2004.  My life with a wheelchair began in 2004.   So, they have really been a huge part of my life with a wheelchair since the beginning.  I just thought I'd share that piece of trivia.  :)



Thankful thoughts for today:
Those who understand rural Western Kansas
Truly accessible hotels
Successful Interviews
Recognition of Independence

"Thanksgiving, after all, is a word of action."
                                          W.J. Cameron

No comments:

Post a Comment