Thursday, April 25, 2013

Catalyst Group For This Adventure




I was so excited about this event: Friendship Tea at the Ogallah Christian Church.  I was with this group of ladies when the concept for my platform began to take shape.  We all heard the same talk by Ann Voscamp about her book 1000 Gifts.  So, it was amazing to sit down with some of these same women and share how had impacted my life and helped create the concept of my platform, "Maintaining An Attitude of Gratitude" that I will get to share around the state.

I really struggled with what title to give this:  Friendship Tea just didn't seem to express enough.  I'm still not sure if the title says it all, but it's close.  Catalyst means "one that precipitates a process or event."  While this group of ladies can't claim full responsibility for this year, we did hear the same talk together that led to my formation of a platform that I felt compelled to share with as many people as possible.  So, I choose to call them a "catalyst."  What do you think?  Is this the right title or is there a better way to word this?  I'm sure there is, but I can't think of it right now.

The group was smaller than normal, but there were competing events happening at the same time--like Daddy/Daughter Prom.  This didn't directly impact the women of this group, but if they had other children than the daughter that was at Prom with her Dad, they were home with those kiddos.  I hope those that weren't able to make it can catch up with me at another appearance.


I was thrilled that this group was the first to see my PowerPoint Presentation.  They were so kind as I worked out the technical difficulties and hopefully it will all work out smoothly from now on.  :)  I got to share how our time together hearing Ann Voscamp speak helped form my platform before I began the PowerPoint.   My favorite part is always going to be the question/answer time I think.  My life is an open book and I'm thrilled that this experience allows people to ask questions they have not felt comfortable asking before.  Just so you all know, if you have any questions about life in a wheelchair or the accident that led to my life in a wheelchair, just ask.  Don't be afraid to offend me.  I will not be offended and will gladly share.  My life is an open book. 

Thankful thoughts for today:
Donations from unexpected places
Finding "Mama Zooms"
Daughter willing to ask questions about tough subject
Exemplary score on assessment test
Feeling caught up and on track
Finding formal wear for the dog for the crowning ceremony
Cup holders
Storage under front seat

"Gratitude as a discipline involves a conscious choice.  I can choose to be grateful even when my emotions and feelings are still steeped in hurt and resentment.  It is amazing how many occasions present themselves in which I can choose gratitude instead of a complaint.  I can choose to be grateful when I am criticized, even when my heart still responds in bitterness.  I can choose to speak about goodness and beauty, even when my inner eye still looks for someone to accuse or something to call ugly."                                                       --Henri J. M. Nouwen



No comments:

Post a Comment