Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Princess Without Her Puppy



In honor of International Assistance Dog Week, I thought I would write a post about my sweet dog and his Ms. Wheelchair America experience.  He got to have a working vacation while I was in Houston. The day before I headed out, we took AJ to KSDS where he would spend the week and a half I was gone with his trainer at the training facility where he lived before I took him home with me.  He was not a bit happy about being left and it broke my heart to hear him whine, but I consoled myself with the fact that he would be fine.

That night was horrible for me and I just had to convince myself that when I wasn't in my home, staring at his stuff, I would miss him less.  Well, that was just not true.  We went on our trip and had a couple of days before MWA started.  It really felt like part of me was missing.  

Then, Ms. Wheelchair America began.  Did I miss him less?  NO.  I thought about him all the time, especially when I would see the judge with his dog.  But, do I think I made the right choice leaving him on vacation?  YES!  Our days were so packed full, there was barely enough time to take care of my own personal needs.  I can't imagine taking him down to the main floor and finding a place in downtown Houston for him to take care of his bathroom needs.  Not to mention, there wasn't time or place to let him run and play.  And, I just don't think it would have been very fair to make him work such long days for a week.

So, yes I missed him, but yes, I am sure this was the right decision.  I know he was loved and played with and fed and watered on time.  I'm sure he had a great time even if he did come home with a hoarse bark.  :)  I am also sure that we are well bonded and I missed him terribly.  He is truly my partner and know I fully appreciate just how much this partnership means to me.  We are a team and work best when we are together.  :)  


Thanksgiving for today:
Working technology
Wellness Center
Clean table
Finished project
Almonds

"Blessed are those who can give without remembering and receive without forgetting."
                                                    --Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment