Friday, November 15, 2013

Swipe Out Hunger


I was so excited to get to spend an hour working with a great team of friends and my daughter packaging meals.  It's hard to explain how great this event is until you work it yourself.  Other team members were measuring rice, beans, and a cheese packet into the bag and then they would pass it to me.  My job on my side of the table was to weigh the bag and either add or remove rice until the bag was at the appropriate weight.  Then the bag would move on down the table to be sealed and then laid out until we had enough to fill a box.  Other team members would fill the box, seal it shut, and we would yell out the count.  Our team managed to fill 6 1/2 boxes during our shift.  What a great experience working together as a team to meet a common goal.

During our shift we were packaging meals for the Kansas Food Bank.  These meals will be used to feed hungry Kansans.  The second shift was packaging meals to be sent overseas to areas of need.  What an amazing experience to be a part of something so important.  This experience definitely increased my sense of gratitude for having food on my table every day.  My energy is not spent finding somewhere to get food.  My energy is spent on deciding which food to eat.  I am blessed.  May I never forget that.

To learn more about this event, check out  http://numanainc.com/

Before the event


Ready to package meals

Thanksgiving for today:
Smiles
Rapt attention
Erasing items off a white board
Sharing stories


"No one who achieves success does so without the help of others.   The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude."
                                                                          Alfred North Whitehead

No comments:

Post a Comment