Monday, November 4, 2013

Lions Club--Giving Back



I was more nervous for this event than perhaps anything else I've done so far this year.  Why???  I was in a room full of people that knew me well--teachers, pastors, community members, and even some people I went to high school with.  This was my first presentation in my home town.  Now, I had read stories at story time at the library earlier this year, but reading stories to preschoolers did not cause the same case of nerves that speaking in front of a group of adults caused.  :)  These people knew me well enough to see right through any facade I would try to put up.

Because I knew this crowd, I wanted a chance to get to spend extra time talking and answering questions.  So, I gave them a shortened version of my presentation so we would have more time for q&a at the end.  This is always my favorite part of every presentation.  This time, the questions got a little more specific since they had previous knowledge of my life  before my time as Ms. Wheelchair Kansas 2013.  But, I always tell people they can ask whatever they want, so I guess I'm prepared for anything.  :)

I still had the amazing opportunity to tell a crowd--this time people I know--about the importance of "Maintaining an Attitude of Gratitude."  No matter what happens in life, you can always find a reason to be grateful.  I am constantly thankful that I get to share that message around Kansas with all kinds of amazing people.

Now, I'd like to think I don't ever put up a facade.  I try very hard to be real and an open book.  You can ask me anything you'd like.   But, I knew that even if I wanted to try to fake it, I couldn't with this crowd.  Not only are these people I've grown up with, they are Lions.  They make it a point to spend their time and money on community service.  I'm sure the Lions have touched my life in more ways than I can imagine, but here are a couple of the most recent.  The Scout House in WaKeeney was built by the Lions Club and a ramp was added to the building when I needed to get in to participate with my son.  Also, Lions Clubs across Kansas support KSDS and their training of guide, social, and service dogs.  This has definitely greatly impacted my life recently and I made sure to thank them for their support of that organization.  I am sure if you take a moment and look around your community, you will notice something supported by the Lions.  I challenge you to see what the Lions support and thank them for that.

"No one who achieves success does so without the help of others.  The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude."
                        Alfred North Whitehead


Thankful thoughts for today:
Write on/Wipe off Board
Skype
Watching kids learn important life lessons
Army of Volunteers
Paying it forward


No comments:

Post a Comment