Monday, December 16, 2013

Celebrating NW Kansas Culture


Another chance to see Governor Brownback and other Kansas celebrities in the town where I grew up (which just happens to be the Pheasant Capital of Kansas).  How could I pass up this opportunity?  I couldn't.  I knew I was going to a "banquet."  What I didn't know was just well put together and comfortable this would be.  I shouldn't have been surprised.

This was an amazing set up with lots of support.  There was a silent auction set up as well as a live auction after dinner.   Governor Brownback even got to show off his auction skills and auction off the first item.  I'm going to guess that not every Kansan can say they have been to an auction with the governor as auctioneer (for even one item).  It was a privilege to get to shake his hand again and get to introduce him to my husband, son, and parents this time (as well as my daughter again).  My picture was even on his Facebook page from that event.  


As a Northwest Kansas native, I was not at all surprised to see the welcome to the Governor, hunters, and other Kansas celebrities.  The speaker of the night talked about something that has always been a big part of the culture I grew up in and the culture of Kansas--knowing how to feed ourselves from the land around us if there wasn't a grocery store available.  When he talked about having freezers to store your harvest in, I had to chuckle a bit.  My husband and I had just talked about having enough room in the freezer if he harvested a deer this fall.  We decided I would need to cook one of the three turkeys in the freezer from that spring hunt (I happen to have three successful hunters in my house).  I am so proud to be part of a culture that still has an active hunting and farming component.



We had heard rumor that Miss Kansas was going to be at the banquet and were excited to meet her.  The thought of meeting Miss Kansas made this an event my daughter was excited to attend.  We were all disappointed to discover we had missed her.  She had been a part of the days activities but was unable to attend the banquet due to another appearance.   We would still love to meet her.  As Ms. Wheelchair Kansas, I would love the chance to talk with her and see if we could collaborate on anything.  It would be absolutely amazing if she could attend the Ms. Wheelchair Kansas 2014 Crowning Ceremony in March.  So, if you happen to know her, pass along my contact information.  Let's see if we can make this connection happen.



Thankful thoughts for today:
Sunshine
Pogo sticks
Joy
Anticipation
When a plan comes together

"To live a life of gratitude is to open our eyes to the countless ways in which we are supported by the world around us.  Such a life provides less space for our suffering because our attention is more balanced.  We are more often occupied with noticing what we are given, thanking those who have helped us, and repaying the world in some concrete way for what we are receiving."
                                                                          Gregg Krech

No comments:

Post a Comment