Friday, December 20, 2013

The Right Age for Asking Questions Part 2



Just before Thanksgiving break I had the opportunity to speak with Mrs. Carr's second grade class at Trego Grade School.  I shared my story "The Secret of Saying Thanks" and then spent time talking with the class and having a q&a time.  I must retract my earlier decision that the right age for asking questions does not happen until about 5th grade.  http://mwks13.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-right-age-for-questions.html

This class had amazing, insightful questions.  They were not just telling personal stories.  They were asking well thought out questions about me and the Ms. Wheelchair Kansas program.  I was even asked for the first time if I would be sad when Ms. Wheelchair Kansas 2014 is crowned.  I have since been asked similar questions by adults, but it was a group of second grade students who first asked about life for me after the crowning ceremony in March.  I was able to tell them that I will forever be Ms. Wheelchair Kansas 2013 and I was excited to add another woman to the list of Ms. Wheelchair Kansas queens.  :)  And, my life of giving presentations and meeting amazing groups of Kansans will never come to an end.  In fact, I currently have appearances scheduled in April and May.  My story and the message I present does not stop being important when the new Ms. Wheelchair Kansas is crowned.  It really only means we get to add yet another voice to our sisterhood.  Thanks to Ms. Wheelchair America 2005, Juliette Rizzo for reminding me that I will forever be Ms. Wheelchair Kansas 2013.  After all, as Delta Burke said on Designing Women, "Once Miss Georgia, always Miss Georgia."

This class did an amazing job of listening and really staying focused on my presentation.  They did an excellent job stating what they are thankful for and even wrote in my gratitude journal.  I was thrilled to hear them thanking each other, teachers, classroom grandmas, etc. naturally as they went through their day.  If we all were as thankful as I witnessed these second graders being, this world would be a very different place.

Thankful thought for today:
Anticipation
Peace
Joy
Love



The Second Grade Class at their Christmas Concert

No comments:

Post a Comment