Sunday, December 8, 2013

Experiencing Winter Weather

I figured it was coming, but it is still a bit of a disappointment.  Winter weather caused me to have to cancel an event.  BOOOOO!!!  I was so looking forward to heading to Topeka last week for the Toys 4 Tots event.  I have donated items to Toys 4 Tots in the past, but have never had the opportunity to work alongside U.S. Marines to package donations.  This was something I was thrilled to do and especially as Ms. Wheelchair Kansas.  When you are thankful, it seems impossible to keep your gratitude from spilling over and wanting to give back.  I am so thankful for the blessings in my life that I want to give back to others.  So, I was greatly disappointed that I had to cancel.  The good news is I'm sure the Marines didn't let a little weather stop them from giving back.  If you know of opportunities to give back in NW Kansas, please let me know.  I hope this is not a sign of my final quarter of my year as Ms. Wheelchair Kansas.  I don't want weather to prevent me from attending any more events.

I guess time will tell.  This did cause me to realize just how little time I have left as Ms. Wheelchair Kansas.   Ms. Wheelchair Kansas 2014 will be crowned on March 16.  So, if you would like to schedule an event to have me come as Ms. Wheelchair Kansas, please let me know immediately.  I do still have some room in my schedule in January and February.  I want to get to as much of the state and see as many people as I can in the next 3 months.

For those of you who don't quite understand why cold would keep me away from an event, here's an excerpt from  .If You're Not From the Prairie . . by David Bouchard.  "Still, you're not from the prairie, And yet you know cold . . .  You say you've been cold?  Of all those memories we share when we're old, None are more clear than that hard bitter cold.  You'll not find among us a soul who can say: 'I've conquered the wind on a cold winter's day.'  If you're not from the prairie, You don't know the cold, You've never been cold!"  If you've never checked out this book, please do so.  It sums up life on the prairie quite well.  :)



"None is more impoverished than the one without gratitude.  Gratitude is a currency that we can mint for ourselves, and spend without fear of bankruptcy."
                                                                     Fred De Witt Van Amburgh

No comments:

Post a Comment